At PMO we believe in building long-term relationships with our clients and our people, something we earn through ethical decision-making and proven value in every engagement. Our integrated approach includes 8 specialties, plus training services; all working together to mitigate risk for people and projects .
As part of a growing risk management consultancy, join the PMO’s Process Safety Engineering Division in Calgary, AB and help lead in the delivery of technical safety consultancy services to a diverse set of Canadian and International clients.
Reporting to the Engineering Operations Manager, this position will facilitate Process Hazards Analyses (PHA) including HAZOP, SIL, and LOPA as well as other Process Safety Management (PSM) elements. Supporting clients in reviewing data and providing risk intelligence perspectives from the analysis is an integral function of this role.
PMO offers excellent benefits and training allowances, flexibility in work locations, and the opportunity to travel. If you have a great attitude, thrive in a team-oriented environment, and have a passion for process safety, we want to hear from you!
Duties and responsibilities
This position will be responsible for the facilitation and delivery of a variety of process safety studies:
- Preparation, organization, scribing / facilitating, and supporting the completion of Process Hazard Analyses such as HAZOP, SILA, LOPA and Bow Ties.
- Preparation and review of client-consumable project reports/output.
- Consequence analysis through the modelling of Fire and Explosion scenarios.
- Data analysis, tool utilization, and technical reporting for Facility Siting Studies and Quantitative Risk Assessments.
Job functions will include, but are not limited to:
- Review Process Safety information for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
- Study and interpret client engineering drawings such as PFDs and P&IDs and define process nodes for hazard analysis studies.
- Communicate with clients during preparation and reporting for projects.
- Attend and/or lead client meetings, document meeting minutes,
- Responsible for interpretation of PHA analytics and documenting critical findings.
- Completing safety engineering deliverables, including the development of comprehensive technical reports. These may include hazardous area classifications, flare radiation and dispersion studies, safety equipment layouts, producing performance standards, input to facility layouts, etc.
- Identify opportunities to continuously improve quality and efficiency of work processes and practices.
- Adhere to all PMO and/or client quality standards and processes
- Participate in the training and mentoring of junior engineers when requested
- Participate/support in the development/continual improvement of internal processes, including engineering and quality standards
- Participate / Attend internal engineering meetings and company-wide meetings / information sessions
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering discipline (Chemical, Mechanical, Environmental, or Petroleum Engineering).
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of relevant work experience, preferably within high hazard industries, with at least two years in process/technical safety.
- Excellent spoken and written English and IT literacy
- Proven technical competence in executing and delivering risk assessments and risk analyses, with demonstrated strong skills in one or more of the following:
- Process Hazard Analyses scribe/facilitation such as HAZIDs, HAZOPs, SILA and LOPA.
- Consequence and frequency analyses
- Consequence modelling of hazardous releases, dispersion, fires, and explosions
- Fault / Event Tree Analysis
- Quantitative Risk Assessment (QRA).
- Bow Tie Analysis
- Knowledge of NFPA, API, IEC, and other safety-related codes, standards, and recommended practices
- Knowledge of consequence analysis and QRA
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Advanced-level proficiency with PHAST and PHA-Pro Software
- Attention to detail and thorough self-checking mentality.
- A cooperative and helpful attitude toward both colleagues and clients.
- A strong drive and willingness to continue learning from clients and colleagues.
- Adaptable to changing working hour requirements to accommodate project work and client needs in other time zones.
- Either having or working towards a Professional Engineering license (e.g. P. Eng) Registration or eligibility to register with APEGA is preferred.
- Hands-on experience with operations, maintenance, and engineering functions at plant sites is considered a benefit
Work location for this role will be flexible; it will include time spent in a typical office environment, remote work, and part of the time spent at various job sites. Up to 30% travel is required for this role. Workloads will vary greatly, with periods of intense activity and tight deadlines.
- Job location: Calgary, Alberta
- Typical schedule: 5x2, Monday to Friday, average of 40 hour work week
- This position will require travel of up to 30%.
- This position may require overtime
- This position may be exposed to high pressure situations and tight deadlines
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Position: Contractor or Employee
- Candidates must be eligible to live and work in Canada.
PMO will not be accepting phone calls regarding the position. Please submit your application electronically. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and we thank all of those who apply.
- PMO Management Team